As you transcend alcohol, you will find yourself building a brand new arsenal of tools for changing your state. These tools might include emotional coping mechanisms, stress-relieving activities like meditation, and various forms of exercise.
Each one of these tools is a context-specific alternative to alcohol.
I know that I once used alcohol as my universal tool for changing my state. Tired? Pour a drink and get stuff done! Wired? Pour a drink and relax! I could list 50 other states of mind that seemed to call for a drink years ago.
Something magical happens after you quit drinking and experiment with alternatives to drinking. You begin to build new neural pathways that correspond to these new tools. Over time, your brain begins to turn to them instead of to alcohol!
There’s a vast universe of effective tools beyond alcohol, and the good news is that some of them are ingestible. Some are fairly benign teas that you can find in any grocery store. Others are exotic nootropics that should be approached with a healthy dose of caution. Intelligent self-experimentation is the path to freedom.
Taking control of your biology to optimize your body and sense of well-being is known as bio-hacking.
Many of the supplements that you use to repair or calm your system after detox can be harnessed later on as tools for enhancing your state of body or mind:
- CBD Oil – Great for occasional relaxation; even better if you’re in early recovery
- Multi-Nutrient Blends – Noticeably reduce anxiety, stress, and symptoms of protracted alcohol withdrawal
- Oweli Neuro – One of the only potent & natural nootropic blends I recommend, containing a variety of nutrients shown to promote cognitive function!
As I often say, I have a cabinet full of supplements that I once used for biochemical repair. I know what each one does and I’ve kept them in case I need to rebalance my physiology in some way.
In today’s video, I want to discuss some biohacking tools that could technically be considered supplements, but which I categorize as alternative beverages, teas, and smoothie components.
You can watch the video here:
More About These Alternatives To Alcohol
If you’re ready to experiment with some of my favorite bio-hacking tools, here’s a list from my video:
- Kratom – I really like Red Bali (relaxing), White Borneo (energizing), and Yellow Indo (empathic).
- Kava – I like to mix 1/4 teaspoon of 70% kavalactones powder with spring water for relaxation.
- Yerba Mate – I usually choose between coffee or yerba mate from The Mate Factor when I wake up in the morning.
- Reishi Mushroom – Mixed into coffee or my smoothie, helps take off the edge and reduce coffee dependence.
- Black Maca – Fantastic for energy, sense of well-being, and better workouts.
- Korean Gingseng Tea – Kills midday slumps without any jitters!
- Rooibos Tea – Helps with focus and energy without keeping you up past your bedtime.
- Stash Chamomile Nights – My evening routine includes 6 of these teabags steeped for 10 minutes.
The list above is a small fraction of the tools at my disposal. Why on earth would I ever want a drink when I have so many ways to feel physically good? Not to mention the myriad of potential alternatives that I haven’t yet explored.
Unlike toxic alcohol, most of these tools offer long-term health benefits. At the very least, they don’t detract from my health.
Only you can determine which tools will stay with you for the long-run.
We all have unique biochemistries and personal preferences. You might find that you only need a few supplements and a favorite tea to build new neural pathways going forward.
Bio-hacking is a hobby of mine. As I explore new tools and learn new things, I’ll continue to write more articles about them.
If you’re still struggling to quit drinking, I would not advise jumping into bio-hacking quite yet.
You can immerse yourself in this cool and rewarding subject after you’ve broken the physical chains of alcohol dependence.
A great way to break those chains is to stabilize your brain-body system with basic nutrients, including:
- Amino Acids
You can learn how to do this and much more in my best home detox and recovery program.
I hope you enjoyed this video! Be sure to subscribe to Fit Recovery on YouTube and stay posted for more.